10.04.2017

Washington's oldest...

We've talked for years about going after the oldest geocache in Washington. We knew there was a steep hike involved, but with Indian summer in full swing, it seemed the perfect time to go.


Autumn is just starting to show its beautiful colors, especially the huckleberries, which are bright red. The vine maples are turning yellow and orange, and the trail is lined with them. It will be a beautiful hike.

We had the trail to ourselves, which suited me just fine. I take the accents at a measured pace, and stop often to look around. Because we came up for a drive in this area yesterday, I knew there were beautiful views to the south, and didn't want to miss any photographs of Mount Rainier.

Once we left the abandoned logging road and started to climb up through the forest, the colors intensified. We walked out into an old clear-cut and there, far below us, we saw Lake Keechelus.



When the trail climbed higher and veered to the west, there it was: Mount Rainier. The day was turning hazy in the late morning, with not much contrast. My eyes had no trouble, but I don't have much hope for good photographs.



After this lovely view, the trail turned north and headed deep into the forest. I was glad when we reached the top of the ridge, and the trail flattened out a bit. We're now on the narrow ridge that runs to Mt. Margaret, then down to Lake Lillian. And we're almost there. The cache is a short bushwhack up a steep hill and over deadfall trees. It was quite easy to find; the tough part was the hike in.


So here we are, three-quarters of the way up to Mount Margaret. Now what? We're so close, we couldn't resist climbing the rest of the way to the top. Where there is another geocache. And more views of Mount Rainier, 40 miles to the south.

So off we went. The trail was lovely, through towering trees and very little underbrush. It was like being in a cathedral. But the trail didn't take us to the top of the peak. Oh, no. We had to break off the main trail onto a very steep game trail that led nearly straight up the slope. I made it two-thirds of the way up a bare slope when my legs gave out. So I stopped and sat down on the trail, and looked at the view while my legs stopped quivering. An eagle soared in the distance, and it was completely silent.

Dave found the cache then came in search of me, and with encouragement (and knowing I'd regret not making it to the top) I pulled myself up the last bit of the open slope and into the woods. There were downed trees to climb over, but I felt safe from falling there. And out I walked into the light on the east side of the ridge, with stunning views of fresh snow in the Enchantments, and the north side of the Stuart range. Amazing.


I took a look at the geocache, we had a snack and photographed the views, then we headed down. Surprisingly, getting back down the game trail was easier than getting up. I used a walking pole (which I couldn't use on the climb up) for balance as I felt for good footing, and just took my time.

Halfway down the game trail, Dave stopped and pointed out cat tracks in a muddy spot. They were not there when we climbed up. This was a bit creepy... the tracks were small, so probably a lynx or bobcat was following us, curious about the invaders in the woods.

The hike out was pleasant, even though the constant downhill pounded my knees and feet. Before I knew it, we were back at the trailhead. Instead of heading west toward home, we went east to Roslyn, where we were happy to settle down at a hewn wood table at The Brick. This is one of our favorite places, a cool historic bar in Roslyn, with the original wide plank floors, back bar, and brass railings. I think they make the best Reuben sandwich and fries of any place we've ever been. DW had a jalapeno burger, and we both finished the day with a tasty beer.

It was a great day. Our next long hike is in a few days, and I can hardly wait.

2 comments:

  1. What a hike and fabulous views. You did better than I probably would do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely hike! Great mountain views too.

    ReplyDelete

I love that you took the time to read my blog, and appreciate your comments.