6.24.2018

Dirt...

Most of the day, I sat in it. Dirt, that is.

There used to be a wide flower bed around two sides of the chicken coop; the other two sides were on the other side of the pasture fence, and the horses kept the weeds and grass cropped short. And kept dirt from stacking up against the foundation.



But this side, with orchard trees and mowed grass, the side we see from the house and the driveway... this side needed to be spruced up. So I dug out a border along the two sides, made a dam of bricks to keep dirt from sliding down under the building, and planted my favorite Campanula bluebells and Veronica spicata and lots of alyssum and lobelia.

But eventually I got busy with other things like mountain biking and a Miata club. The grass took over and DW started mowing the plants along with the grass,, but the flowers still bloomed.

Clearing out around the coop was on my list for getting ready for painting. DW took down the fence and mowed a wide path, and I started pulling out bricks and rocks and sod (and also found the skeletons of an adult and a baby opossum, which was very sad). The bluebells have formed a dense carpet, so I dug them up in clumps and transplanted them all around the house and patio.



John replaced rotten trim boards and door sill, wrapped the corners, and added battens and belly bands to make it look like the other buildings. In a couple of weeks, everything will be painted and I'll post another set of photographs. I can hardly wait!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love that you took the time to read my blog, and appreciate your comments.