12.13.2018

Welcome home...

Each year, one of my quilt guilds chooses a project, something we can all work on together. One year, the project was to make applique blocks for a quilt. It could be wool applique, or any form of applique using quilting cottons. Another year, we made a quilt from a panel. Each new project teaches us new techniques.

This year, we're making medallion quilts. And in my usual style, mine is made from tiny quilt blocks.



The first month, I started with the little red farmhouse with a blue sky. The second month, I added the gold and cream frame made with half-square triangles. The third month, I added the black frame. And for December, I made a handful of tiny 9-patch blocks (3-in. square) along with plain squares. So far, my little quilt is 15-in. square. This far, I followed a pattern in a favorite book of Civil War quilts. But from now on, it will be all mine.

I'll keep adding borders until June, when my guild takes a break for the summer. I plan to add some embroidery details, like window frames and a wreath on the door, after I hand-quilt it. And if I'm really happy with the finished quilt, I'll enter it in my other guild's quilt show in 2020.

I named it "Welcome Home" because of the farmhouse. Because every time I come home to my own little farmhouse, it welcomes me home.

1 comment:

I love that you took the time to read my blog, and appreciate your comments.