10.21.2018

Autumn in the garden...



It's done. Finally.

In the middle of this 25-foot-square area once stood a tall fir tree with a trunk nearly 6 feet in diameter. We had it removed a few years ago, and the stump ground to wood chips, and this garden has basically been neglected ever since. It has sprouted volunteer fireweed and iris and thyme and rose campion with little help from me; I pulled weeds, and stayed out of its way. And while I waited for inspiration, I collected plants and transplanted seedlings, and finally this fall, I dug the whole thing up.

I shoved boulders around to make a loose rockery around the outside, leaving room for annuals come spring. I backfilled with dirt, and raked wood chips out to the edges. I left clumps of thyme and sweet woodruff, and planted everything I've been saving (plus some new additions): there's a spiral of rose campion plants around a bird feeder, surrounded by day lilies, rosemary, columbine, iris, coreopsis, purple coneflower, hosta, and black-eyed susan. There's a winding path, and the back corner (under the lilacs) will have room for a couple of Adirondack chairs.

My favorite cottage garden plant is the tall garden phlox. I love the flowers and the smell is heavenly. But unfortunately, it's a favorite of the deer, too. I saved a place for a few more plants, and will just have to figure out a way to keep the deer out of it. I also love purple coneflower, but they've always been short-lived in my garden. This fall I found some cold-hardy varieties, so fingers are crossed that with mulching during the winter, it will survive.



My rosemary died a few winters ago, and the new one will need mulching, too. I just hope I left enough room for it... the tag says it could be six feet high and four feet wide, if I don't keep up with the pruning. But there will be lots of fresh rosemary for any of my friends and family who want it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love that you took the time to read my blog, and appreciate your comments.