7.06.2011

Books for a country farmhouse (or cabin)

My day-to-day life always seems to include researching something. Sometimes it’s because I want to learn more; sometimes I’m looking for ideas to use in my own life (or house or cabin). This list was made because of my plans to work on the interior design of our cabin, and is a blend of Cottage, Lodge, and Adirondack style.

Our county-wide library system (which in 2011 was declared to be the busiest & the biggest in the country), is an amazing resource for just about anything you want to research. With a little help from the Amazon "look inside" feature, I narrowed my list to these titles, and reserved them from the library. A few, like the Arts & Crafts Cabin, I've read before. This time I may add a couple of titles to the home library.

  • Aged To Perfection: Adding Rustic Charm To Your Modern Home… (Linsley)
  • Arts & Crafts Cabin (Obomsawin)
  • Cabin Fever: Rustic Style Comes Home (Carley)
  • The Cabin: Inspiration for the Classic American Getaway (Mulfinger)
  • Cabinology: A Handbook To Your Private Hideaway (Mulfinger)
  • Cottage: America’s Favorite Home Inside and Out (Connolly)
  • Cottage Style: Ideas & Projects For Your World (Farris)
  • Cottages: The New Style (Trulove)
  • Easy Cottage Style: Comfortable Interiors For Country Living (Bauwens)
  • Farmhouse Book: Tradition, Style, and Experience (Larkin)
  • Found Style: Vintage Ideas For Modern Living (Butler)
  • New Cottage Style: Decorating Ideas For Casual, Comfortable, Living
  • New Country Style (Grigg)
  • Rustic Revisited: Innovative Design For Cabin, Camp, and Lodge (O’leary)
  • Shortcuts To Decorating Country Style (Atkins)
I spent a couple of weeks going through this big stack of books, enjoying the eclectic mix of styles, and seeing how others have incorporated country elements into both old and modern homes and cabins. When I was through, I bought Arts & Crafts Cabin and Cottage Style. But there are a couple of others that I'll add to the library, when we're ready to tackle some bigger remodeling jobs (one day), or when it's time to build our retirement home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love that you took the time to read my blog, and appreciate your comments.