2.11.2008

False spring

We‘ve finally made it to our false spring (only two weeks late). It‘s odd that it‘s been so mild here in the foothills, when the mountain passes have been closed more than they‘ve been open the past couple of weeks. Saturday afternoon, all three passes were closed. I can‘t remember the last time that happened... with North Cascades and Chinook closed as usual, that means the only way in and out of Eastern WA was along the Columbia River.

Actually, I do remember the last time this happened, but it had nothing to do with winter weather. It was when Mount St. Helens erupted, 28 years ago. The highways between western and eastern Washington were all closed due to blowing volcanic ash.

I‘m taking advantage of the temporary sunshine to plan out my gardening strategy for spring. The goal is to gradually transition the flower beds to low-maintenance plants, with fewer annuals and perennials that need pruning and deadheading. I‘ll probably put in more hostas & lavender this year, plus hellebores (they love the shady beds near the fir trees). And I think I‘ll pull out the old woody lavender, and replace it with new plants that I can keep small.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love that you took the time to read my blog, and appreciate your comments.