7.29.2010

It's Sweeter in the South

It's impossible to not notice differences while on vacation. I enjoy the scenery, the people, the architecture around me, but sometimes, I can't comparing it to home. Prices (especially gas prices!), scenery, weather, temperature… but brown sugar?

Dave had oatmeal for breakfast this morning, with small side dishes of toasted pecans, raisins, coconut, and brown sugar. He offered me a sample, and said I had to taste the brown sugar. Our light brown sugar at home is flabby, insipid, nearly flavorless. You taste the sweetness, but that's about all. In Tennessee (and as we learned, throughout the South), brown sugar is rich and full of flavor. More molasses? This is something I plan to investigate. Maybe I'll have my friend Louise send me care packages of brown sugar from New Orleans!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love that you took the time to read my blog, and appreciate your comments.