8.02.2010

Big Spring, Missouri



I smile every time I write this, or show someone the photos I took at this enormous spring, because the name is such an understatement.











It's the largest spring in Missouri, and one of the largest springs in the world. On average, it gushes forth 278 million gallons each day from three outlets along the base of a dolomite cliff. For those who don't want to pull out a calculator, that's 11.6 million gal/hour, and 193,000 gal/sec. The river it spawns is turquoise blue in color, and crystal clear. We came here to do an earthcache, but it was also an excuse to get away from the main highways and explore some back roads in the mountains, on our way through southern Missouri into Arkansas.











Like every day so far, today was hot and humid. So it was nice to be next to the river and spring, and in the shade of the trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love that you took the time to read my blog, and appreciate your comments.