5.06.2018

Double white...

A week or so ago, I took a detour on the way to my Tuesday quilting group, and drove the backroads north of Maple Valley. It's an area full of dead-end roads, thanks to a state highway that bisects the old farms, cutting them to pieces.

But there are still a few old barns and even more farmhouses remaining, and green pastures. And of course, lots of trees. We grow them everywhere in this part of the state, whether we want them or not. Turn your back, and trees appear. I love that about the wet side of this state.

I came to photograph one of my favorite barns one one of the dead-end roads, in the early morning on a rainy day. It stands next to an older, smaller barn, and there's a beautiful restored farmhouse next door. Finding a barn so well tended is a pleasure; there are so many more that are unloved, in disrepair, or falling down. It takes a lot of time and money to maintain a barn. Think about what it costs to put a roof on your house, and double or triple that.



As I turned to go, I spotted another white barn across the road, behind some trees. With the low-lying clouds partly screening the mountains, it made for a beautiful setting on this rainy day.




1 comment:

I love that you took the time to read my blog, and appreciate your comments.