1.22.2008

The last farm dinner

Tonight was a bittersweet evening. I’ve been cooking dinner for Bernie & Greg since fall of 2002, and tonight is the last. Bernie is retiring and moving home to Ellensburg, and Greg is getting a new roomie (a dog named Schrader) who isn’t likely to appreciate my cooking like Bernie did!

The guys were later than planned, because they went for one last road ride together. I was in the middle of something at 5:45 when the doorbell rang, so I just opened the door and walked away. Greg said, "That's risky. No telling who might be at the door. Could be Ted Bundy or Jeffrey Dahmer." I just laughed, but I almost said, "Jeffrey Dahmer would have been on time." It would have gotten a good laugh, but I didn't want Bernie to feel bad, not on his last Pennylane Farm dinner.

Tonight I went all out. We had a Brie & baguette appetizer, followed by garlic chicken with roasted veggies, grilled rosemary potatoes, and homemade foccacia bread. Dessert was simple: melted Brie with sliced Granny Smith apples. I served several different wines, and we laughed all evening, played our favorite music, and talked. I will miss these evenings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love that you took the time to read my blog, and appreciate your comments.