8.06.2009

14er Number Two



Pikes Peak. Pretty darn impressive. A big bare rock mountain from the flat land around Colorado Springs; wonder how far east you can see this monolith? My second 14-er. Dave's second also, but his record is more impressive than mine. He hiked to the 10,000 ft. level of Washington's Mt. Rainier, then roped up and climbed to the 14,410 ft. summit. Getting there on your own two feet is much more worthy of documenting, don't you think? But since mountain climbing is out of the question for me, I'll continue to list my two feats: Mt. Evans, and Pike's Peak.

It's a long, slow drive to the top, impressive to look up and ahead, and see the switchbacks in front of you. Once we reached the top, we did a quick geocache, joined by a couple from Germany, here on holiday. And we were lucky—the cog train is already here, bright red and very photogenic.




Windy and chilly on top, but we stayed quite a while, enjoying the views. And we were lucky enough to be there when the cog trian headed back down the mountain. I was on an upper platform, my camera thrust between the bars, trying to hold it steady in the wind. But this shot turned out pretty good, especially since there were no people on the lower platform. Sometimes you just get lucky!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love that you took the time to read my blog, and appreciate your comments.