3.30.2010

A time to fight, and a time to run screaming

It didn't used to worry me. Someone would come to work sick, coughing and sneezing and generally polluting the air around them, and I'd shrug it off. No more. The 'stand and fight' behavior is for the young, I've decided. A couple of weeks ago, my co-worker and fellow technical writer came to work sick. He stood outside my office door and apologized, but he just had to finish something up.

A day later, I had a sore throat and cough. Three days later, I was coughing up a lung and every single muscle in my chest and stomach ached from coughing. A visit to the doctor provided the verdict: bronchitis with 93% lung capacity. What the...? This would never have happened a decade ago, but times change and the body doesn't shrug things off like it used to.

So because one person came to work sick, I spent the last eleven days coughing and feeling miserable, didn't enjoy our special 35th anniversary weekend at the lake, and missed a week of work.

Next time, I run screaming in the other direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love that you took the time to read my blog, and appreciate your comments.