1.29.2012

My kind of down time

Today is one of those winter days I just love...

It's chilly and grey and rainy. Even with the blinds open to the outdoors, there isn't much light coming in. The neighbors are trying to burn limbs and brush from last week's storm; all they're doing is filling up our country neighborhood with dense smoke, making it even more gloomy. It's too soon to start any serious clean-up efforts. I'll wait for a warmer, drier day.

We still have snow on the ground, and under the thick layers of downed fir and cedar branches there's a thick layer of ice. Not solid ice, this is the chunks of ice that fell out of the trees as the branches broke and came crashing down. This morning I made a quick survey of my herb garden and perennials near the house, and with each step I could hear the crunch of ice underfoot. So far, my gardens seem to be in pretty good shape. All the small branches and fir tips piled up around the plants, protecting them from the big limbs that came down on Thursday afternoon.

Since I can't work outside, I'm doing my version of nesting... making my home cozier and warmer, better organized for winter, and full of good smells from the kitchen. Progress so far:
  • Brought home an armful of new cookbooks from the library to read through
  • Cleaned the house, in my endless attempt to keep ahead of dust from the woodstove
  • Started a batch of barbecued ribs cooking in the Dutch oven. The house smells yummy!
  • Sorted through my photographs of last week's storm
  • Lit a fire in the woodstove, to keep the gloomy outdoors at bay
  • Started the new Lee Child book, Running Blind

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love that you took the time to read my blog, and appreciate your comments.