5.20.2012

Preserving Houses through Photographs

I'm an architect's daughter. I think this is part of the reason why I've always loved old houses and buildings, structures with classic lines and historic meaning. Once I learned about photography, it was natural to turn my camera's lens toward beautiful old buildings.  Farmhouses in the country, city houses in a historic neighborhood. Railroad depots and courthouses. I especially love photographing the elements that make these buildings more than just boxes of wood or brick. Dentil molding and carved millwork, stained glass, towers and archways and symmetrical placement of windows. Not just window dressing, but pieces of the whole that make the structure what it is.

I collect photos from every town we travel through, and one day I'd like to try my hand at sketching them, or painting them in watercolors. Or maybe I'll print them in black and white, and hand-tint them.

I believe that by capturing these houses and historic buildings in photographs, and encouraging others to visit them and take note of the historic architecture they see in their own travels, these gems of history will never really disappear. I hope my dad would approve.

So, here are today's images. This gorgeous house is in the historic town of Port Gamble, Washington. I love the steep roofs and arched windows, the elaboroate porch railings, the stained glass windows. The house faces the water, and although it was converted to apartments and retail space, the exterior of the house is intact.

Port Gamble is on the peninsula north of Hood Canal Bridge, and is a charming place to visit. Founded in 1853 by Maine businessmen Andrew Pope and William Talbot, Port Gamble was the longest continuously operating mill town in North America. And even though the mill no longer exists, the town is still a company town, authentically restored and operated by Pope Resources.

The entire town is on the National Register of Historic Places.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love that you took the time to read my blog, and appreciate your comments.