5.10.2012

Retirement tips from a novice | Part 1

I'm a complete novice at retirement. After all, it's my first crack at it. It's been fun so far, and I've learned a lot.

Since writing things down is second nature to me after keeping a journal for four decades, it was only natural that I'd take notes on this new stage of my life.

My first bit of advice is to relax. Chill. Take deep breaths and smile. Smile a lot... you know, the kind of smile where your teeth show. Walk through the office and smile big. And don't wait until the first day of retirement to start practicing this. The more you relax in your final months of working for a living, the easier it is to let go of the job, and be OK about the tasks that won't get done (not by you, anyway). This mellow state was a lot of the reason why, when I woke up on my first day of freedom, I didn't feel any remorse at leaving my job, and no stress over how they'd get on without me. I woke up with a smile, thinking only about what I'd do first: work in the garden, or finish my book!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love that you took the time to read my blog, and appreciate your comments.