4.30.2013

Fly fishing diaries | Fishing with antiques

Back in March, when we knew we'd be taking fly fishing classes, I started looking for a fly rod to get me started on the journey. I still want a beautiful antique bamboo fly rod, but needed something less fragile and more utilitarian while I'm a beginner. Since we've seen bamboo rods in an antique store, we've been looking in other antique shops.

I should explain: I'm more of a "finder" than a "buyer" when it comes to starting out on a new hobby. I could go to a fly shop and buy a brand new fly rod, but would much rather find a used rod to learn with. The expensive new rods will still be there when I'm ready. If I'm ready. What if I hate fly fishing? I don't think that will happen, but still... 

We were in Leavenworth for the weekend, and decided to check out the big antique mall in Cashmere. On the walk through the building I found a couple of McCoy pottery flower pots for my baby African violets; cool! Good vibe so far.

Next I spotted a couple of Horrocks-Ibbotson bamboo rods in a glass case, and asked to see them. Unfortunately, neither was in very good shape, and they were a bit pricey for their condition. I'm not qualified to fix unraveled thread wraps and missing ferrules, so I passed on the bamboo. But around the corner we found a big pickle crock being used to hold old fly rods (I wanted the crock, but it was $200). The best of the bunch was a 1970's era Fenwick; when we pulled it out and saw that it also had a cool automatic Martin reel in my favorite green, I was definitely interested.



Dave pulled out the Android and did some research to see how good a deal it was. It was (especially the Martin reel, which was worth more than the combo). So $47 later, it was mine. Great condition, ferrules tight and wraps in good shape. The only negative was that because it's a 2-piece rod, it will need a long case and won't be very packable. But I can live with that. It's my first-ever fly rod.

I won't need it for the next step in this fly fishing journey. The fly fishing classes at Red's this weekend include use of their equipment. But I'll need it soon.

More on the journey: Fly fishing diaries | Bamboo

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love that you took the time to read my blog, and appreciate your comments.