5.15.2014

Baby violets part 2...

A few weeks ago, I snipped off a few African violet leaves and put them in water to grow roots.

This morning I got out pots and soil to plant the violet leaves that have sprouted in water on my kitchen windowsill. And saw something completely unexpected:  each leaf now has sprouted a tiny cluster of leaves, where the roots and stem meet.

Not expecting this at all, I had no plan. So I compromised:  two leaves went directly into soil, with the new crown just at the surface. The other two leaves will remain in water until the new crown of leaves has grown bigger, and then I'll plant them.

It's truly wonderful to see nature at work, isn't it? I'm looking forward to seeing which approach, dirt or water, will work best. Then I just might have to cut a few more leaves to turn into brand new violets.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love that you took the time to read my blog, and appreciate your comments.