8.22.2014

Back to school...

The smell of autumn was in the air this morning... 47 degrees and cool and moist, like the woods at the ocean. The feel of back-to-school was in the air, so many memories. Of finishing up my books for summer reading club. Riding the bus into downtown Seattle with my mom and sisters to shop for shoes at Nordstrom, back when Nordstrom was just a shoe store. Fabric stores to look at patterns and fabric, then hovering over Mom as she sewed, the endless exciting fittings of clothes for the first day of school. Waiting for class schedules to arrive, and calling my friends to see if we shared any classes. And finally, that first day came.

When I became an adult, autumn still came with that same sense of urgency. As though all those years of starting back to school forever embedded those feelings in my very being. The anticipation, the excitement... but most of all, the feeling that anything was possible, and the future was yet to be written.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love that you took the time to read my blog, and appreciate your comments.