8.04.2014

Fly fishing diaries | Wetting a line

I can't believe we haven't wet a line this year. Chalk it up to other priorities so far this year, which kept us away from the lakes this spring. But I don't intend to miss the dry fly fishing this autumn. We had such a great time fishing the Yakima in October, and my almost-new gear is begging me to get out there soon. I'm especially looking forward to fishing the Middle Fork of the Snoqualmie... where my header photo was taken.



My gear isn't expensive, and hasn't been cherished for decades. I'm too new to the sport to have that kind of history. But I love it just the same. Dave found my Redington Classic Trout fly rod for half price at Cabelas... awesome.



I picked out my Orvis Clearwater fly reel, and used a couple of $25 off coupons to buy it and a spare spool, and it's so much better than my antique store gear. It's a pleasure to cast this gear.



Dry flies are the most fun of all. I love these little bits of hook and feather, and some in my box are older by far than my rod and reel! Wherever we travel, we make sure to visit the local fly shops. I love checking out fly shops, just as I once never passed a riding equipment store without going in to browse.



Dave used to spend every Tuesday morning with the fly tying group in town, but hasn't tied anything new since last winter. I'm sure he'll get back into it soon. And hopefully, he'll teach me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love that you took the time to read my blog, and appreciate your comments.