10.03.2014

South Fork of the Snake



On the Road Again Day 12 | Floating the canyon

I was so nervous about today. Not just about casting a fly rod in front of an expert. Or keeping my balance standing in a drift boat. Or that I wouldn't catch anything. What worried me the most was that I might actually catch a big trout, and I didn't have a clue how to do it. What if I can't strip in the line fast enough? What if I break my fly rod? But, I worried for nothing. 

Ed loaned us Hardy Zenith fly rods for the day, and as we each did some test casts, I suddenly relaxed. Whatever the day brought, I'd have fun and learn a lot, and that was all that mattered. 

This was our first guided fly fishing trip, and I'm so glad that it's here, on one of the most highly regarded fly fishing rivers in the West. Our guide took us through the upper half of the canyon, through gorgeous scenery, and into all sorts of nooks and crannies of the river, wherever he knew the fish would be. If we had lots of strikes, Ed would row us back into position so we could fish it again. He was an amazing guide. 

And we did catch fish. So many fish, I lost track. Me, who counts everything, lost track of how many fish I landed, and how many I failed to hook, how many I lost. It didn't matter. I had so much fun, it didn't matter.


Today was one of the best days I've ever had. Please excuse the pun, but I'm hooked, and can't wait to come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love that you took the time to read my blog, and appreciate your comments.