6.12.2018

Porches...

Next week, our contractor/painter starts work on our nearly 100-year-old farmhouse. I am beyond excited!

The house should have been painted a decade ago, I will freely admit. But as excited as I am about painting our house and farm buildings, I am just as excited about the carpentry work that John will do: replacing broken siding, adding battens to the barn and chicken coop, and tearing cedar siding off the garage in the gable ends, and replacing it with cedar shingles. Once that's done, John will start painting.

Dave and I spent a whole day running around the Enumclaw Plateau, home to barns and farmhouses and historic home neighborhoods, armed with paint chips. We were most worried about finding the perfect barn red, but we nailed that one quickly. The barn, pump house, and chicken coop will all be painted red, as farm buildings should be. The three greys for the house and garage were a bit more difficult to nail down, but I think we found just what we were looking for.

Along the path to paint colors, we decided to replace doors. The back door (formerly the front door; long story) definitely needs to be replaced; it's delaminating and can't be fixed. And it also needs a porch to be usable, unless you're really tall and don't need steps to reach a door that's 6 feet off the ground. Another long story, which I guess I should tell one of these days!



I made a second trip through Enumclaw today... and I found the perfect porch and porch roof for a country Craftsman farmhouse. The porch isn't on the work list for this project, but maybe this winter, John will build it for us. (I also love the picket fence and the foundation shrubs.)

Isn't this one cool? I love the chandelier!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love that you took the time to read my blog, and appreciate your comments.