6.29.2018

Nest building...

A bird, I don't know what kind, constructed a beautiful nest from grass clippings in our back pasture. She made a home for her eggs underneath the overhang of a truck bed liner, something that shouldn't have ended up leaning against the pasture fence.


Unfortunately for mama bird and her eggs, a series of events caused her to leave her nest and not return. I feel badly, but it happens. When Dave was mowing he accidentally bumped into the bed liner, and when I discovered this a few hours later I kept an eye on the nest, but she didn't come back.

It's not the first abandoned nest of this species of bird; I have collected a few nests over the years, just like this one. I love seeing how very clever they are when building a nest, but worry about these ground-nesting bird species, and how vulnerable they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love that you took the time to read my blog, and appreciate your comments.