9.23.2018

Beach treasures...

So, I'll come right out and admit that this part of the Washington coast isn't my favorite. I grew up exploring beaches full of tide pools and sea stacks, with gravel beds full of rocks (and occasionally, an agate. With wild stacks of driftwood tossed up by wild surf. With streams making furrows in the sand from cliffs to the surf.

Beaches you couldn't drive on. Beaches where the only sounds were the crashing of the waves, the cries of the sea birds, and the scritch of rocks being pulled by the waves. Not the sound of vehicles being driven up and down, engines racing.

I prefer my kind of beach.

That said, there is a certain appeal to walking on the hard-packed sand, the waves curling over my feet, looking for treasure. On this beach, there wasn't much to find. But the looking was still fun.

A rather large jellyfish (which I almost walked on).




A pool of water and sand washing over a sand dollar.




A lot of wary seagulls. I had to work hard to herd this one exactly where I wanted it in my composition, and got a single photo before it flew away.




Lots of broken clam shells. In spite of not a single rock anywhere on this beach, shells still don't survive.



And that was it. I walked more than a mile north on the beach, barefoot, squishing the sand and water between my toes, and had great fun. My bare legs and feet didn't even get cold, which is not a common thing on a Pacific beach. But I found no treasures to bring home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love that you took the time to read my blog, and appreciate your comments.