2.28.2012

Brussels sprouts, farm style

The CA crew found a restaurant in Laguna Beach that has brussels sprouts on the menu, and Dave says they're great. He asked how I prepare them, so I wrote the directions down so he can share them with the rest of the group.

What I typically do is trim the stems, cut them in half (they cook faster), and saute them in a bit of butter (much better than olive oil; the butter browns and that enhances the flavor of the sprouts). You don't need much, just enough to moisten the pan and keep them from sticking. If I’m in a hurry, I’ll steam the sprouts first, then finish them in the saute pan.

The last few minutes of cooking, I sprinkle them with Balsamic vinegar (white or red, doesn’t matter) and toss them in the pan to coat. I like how the Balsamic brings out the natural nuttiness of the sprouts. Remove from heat when just getting fork-tender; I prefer them a bit crunchy. If you prefer whole sprouts, trim the ends then use the point of the knife to incise an “X” in the stem; they’ll cook faster.

It's a treat to get them in the fall at my favorite farm stand, Carpenito Bros. And throughout the winter, I can get them at Costco. This year I hope to set aside a bit of garden and grow my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love that you took the time to read my blog, and appreciate your comments.