2.11.2012

False spring & forsythia

Last weekend we had four days of beautiful, sunny, warm weather. Just enough to get the gardening juices going, and make me anxious for signs of spring in the garden... the daffodils pushing through the mulch. For purple primroses, and the huge hellebores to start blooming. The fruit trees to start budding out. And I even look forward to the grass starting to grow again (shhh... don't tell my husband).

Usually by now I've cut an armload of forsythia branches to bring inside, where I fill my biggest vases and place them throughout the house. I've done this every year since we bought this old farm, and I love the sight of bright yellow blooms opening up, bringing a touch of spring and sunshine in the middle of winter. This year it's late, probably because of our very cold weather in mid January. A few more days should do it, once the buds get just a bit bigger.

My big, overgrown forsythia has never failed to provide a beautiful display of blooms, in spite of a few years of neglect (and some not-so-friendly competition from a 50-year-old wild rose). Forsythia seems to thrive when left to grow naturally, with minimal pruning to keep in in check so it doesn't crowd its neighbors. It isn't happy if brambles (or wild rose) block too much of its sun. It will sulk for a season if that happens, but will bounce right back the next year. I love that it comes to life so early each year, and love the bright green leaves that contrast so well with the rhododendrons that grow nearby. It's the perfect shrub if you have the room, and I think I've found the perfect place to plant another one.

1 comment:

  1. luv it! Have always liked forsythia, as well. Husband hates it-says it looks crappy most of the year. I havn't noticed. I'm thinking there must be a place in our yard where it could 'mysteriously' come up one spring day!! Like a little pixie dropped her magic dust there. hehe

    -pixsea

    ReplyDelete

I love that you took the time to read my blog, and appreciate your comments.