8.20.2013

Vintage Seagrave

One thing I love about exploring the back roads is that you never know what you'll find. The unexpected roads, the secret streams and hidden waterfalls, the flush of new fall colors, the sight of a moose grazing near a river. Whenever we travel by road, my camera rides on my lap, ready for whatever I see.

Today the unexpected was an old Seagrave fire engine, slowing rusting away in a vacant lot in Curlew. Red and rust, with surprisingly bright emblems and badges. There was no indication of year, but if I had to guess, I'd say it was probably made in the late 1940s.

Peter and I were out of the car before it came to a stop, cameras in hand. We walked around and marveled at all the detailing, the bits and pieces you wouldn't expect to find intact, given its age. A quick search told me that Seagrave has been making fire engines continuously since 1881. I hope this fellow is slated for restoration.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love that you took the time to read my blog, and appreciate your comments.