11.07.2016

Restoration...


Another sign of fall... campgrounds and roads near Mt. Rainier start closing down, so they don't have to be maintained during the snowy season. It's frustrating for us, because we like to hike until the snow comes, and many trails are already out of reach.

La Wis Wis is one campground we wanted to visit before winter, and the road is already closed. So we decided to get up at first light (and before breakfast) and walk in. It's a short walk, only a half mile or so from the road. And downhill. Oh, joy... I'd much rather climb on the walk in, and have the downhill on the way out.

As soon as we got to the campground though, I'd forgotten all about that hike back to the highway. This is a beautiful, historic place with buildings made from logs, huge Western Red Cedar trees, and a crystal-clear stream that flows right through the picnic area.


The leaves are nearly down from the trees, making a thick carpet on the ground.


Before we started the long hill back to the highway, we walked over to see the original ranger station that's being restored to the original blueprints from 1937.



In spite of the early hour, and the cold morning, and the unceasing rain... I was glad we made the effort to hike to this beautiful place. And I was never more ready for breakfast.

2 comments:

  1. That campground is beautiful! I'll have to check it out next time I venture "up north" to Mt Rainier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have had such an amazing November and most stuff here closes by mid to late October. I understand not having the staff to maintain, but...

    ReplyDelete

I love that you took the time to read my blog, and appreciate your comments.