8.06.2017

And they're off...

In my husband's family, everyone's favorite uncle is a retired Thoroughbred breeder and race horse owner, and for years when he came to town, we'd sit and talk horses. I miss that he's out of the business now. I loved researching pedigrees for him, and wish I could do that work again.

We still love when he comes for a visit, and this time DW's sister and brother-in-law arranged for us to spend an afternoon at Emerald Downs. They are part-owners of a horse that races here, and I was excited to see him run. We had a couple of private boxes right up front, and they even arranged to have a race named for Dee (he was tickled!).

Oh, and did I mention the Corgi races? More on the wee doggie races in another post.

Enjoy...

My handsome husband and his beautiful sisters














Outriders, ready for the first race


Because "we" were sponsoring the first race, we got to go to the saddling paddock before the race




My favorite entry (he didn't win, but oh, my... he'd make a great dressage horse!)

Dee, with the "Dee Williams Purse" on the readerboard


Waiting in the winner's circle


Number 7 won going away










I've never been in the winner's circle before!
The guys called this tall gray a giraffe, with his long legs and high head carriage and skinny rat tail.
I love his name: Snowball's Chance.




Second trip to the owner's enclosure to watch the horses come in.


Arrom Bear heading for the saddling paddock


Rocco Bowen up on Arrom Bear, ready to run



Bear finished 5th. They later found out that he has a bone chip in his knee, which may end his career.


Engrossed in the Daily Racing Form


The last race was a mile, which means the starting gate was right in front by the grandstand. A bird's-eye view for us!




My favorite was the No. 5 horse, English Kitty. No. 9, Stuck River, won the race.



Look at all those bay rumps, side by side in the starting gate.



And they're off!



Stuck River won it easily



Family photographs before the last race





No comments:

Post a Comment

I love that you took the time to read my blog, and appreciate your comments.