8.23.2017

Swarmed...

We took the long way home from Bellingham yesterday, exploring parts of the Skagit Valley we'd never seen before, all in the name of geocaching. Chasing a string of caches down a windy wooded road in the eastern county, we came around a bend and stopped on the shoulder. I was just about to hop out of the car when Dave told me to close the door... quickly. Something in his tone made me do it without asking "why?"

Glad I did. I looked out the side window and saw hundreds, maybe thousands of honeybees swarming around the Pilot. We sat there and watched, in awe, at the sheer number of bees. With the world's dirtiest windshield, it was tough to get a photo.



I put the palm of my hand against the glass, and gradually a few bees landed on the window.







Outside the Pilot was a stand of  tansy, the good kind of tansy with the bright yellow button flowers. And every flower head was literally covered with bees, so you could barely see the flowers.





It's the second honeybee event I've seen this month, and it makes me hopeful that these little creatures are making a comeback.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love that you took the time to read my blog, and appreciate your comments.