2.28.2018

Tailor made...

Quilting, and getting started pruning the orchard (and rain and snow!), has kept me off the back roads lately. So I thought I'd dredge up some older photos of favorite barns to share for the next few weeks, until I can get back out there.

In the southeast corner of Washington is an amazing place called the Palouse. It's home to rolling hills and blue skies, wheat fields, old farms and homesteads. It's one of the most photogenic places I know. I love driving the winding back roads that snake between the hills and up the creek valleys, and I love the barns and farmhouses.

The Palouse is home to some of the most unique barns I've ever seen, like this one.



It's near the turn to Palouse Falls, a huge pair of barns built as mirror images of each other. As near as I can find out, these were built to house draft horses, back when horses pulled the farm equipment to harvest the wheat fields. They tower over the small original farmhouse (on the other side of the dirt farm road), and the much newer and larger house just behind it.

I would love to walk up the drive and knock on the door, and ask about the history of these barns. Maybe this spring, I will.

Linking up on Tom's Barn Collective this week.

2 comments:

  1. I always think about being that brave too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful barns. I love the Palouse country. My daughter lives on a ranch in the channeled scablands not far from this area. I would love to know more about these unique barns.
    MB

    ReplyDelete

I love that you took the time to read my blog, and appreciate your comments.