12.25.2018

Christmas day...

It's a tradition that I treasure, and look forward to every year:  Christmas day with my sister. When our parents died a couple of weeks before Christmas, we began this tradition of spending this special day together. Our family loved this holiday, and our parents made it special for their three daughters. And we've done what we can to continue their tradition.



So early on Christmas morning, DW and I get up early, and catch a ferry to the island. We start the day at our niece's house, have breakfast and share hugs and talk, watch the little girls open their gifts, eat more breakfast, play games, play pool, and if we're lucky, watch the snow fall.

Then we move the party to my sister's house. We cook dinner together while we snack on brie and crackers and sometimes grilled vegetables, then sit down and have dinner and wine. This year we made mini tamales together, for an appetizer. And my sister made three kinds of enchiladas for dinner, along all the toppings and a big green salad. It was a great meal, shared around a table full of laughter.



Then before the little ones crash, we open more presents. DW and I spend the night, so we sit up late with my sister and brother-in-law, a few special hours just the four of us.

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely tradition. And your sister sure looks like you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And that is really what it's all about - precious time enjoying your family. It sounds like a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete

I love that you took the time to read my blog, and appreciate your comments.