2.23.2013

My favorite park is waking up to spring

Today I walked the trail near my house, which has been my favorite walk for almost three decades. There's always something beautiful to see... herons flying, the trees budding out in spring, the carpet of huge maple leaves to scuff through in autumn. The beauty of this place never fails to amaze and delight me. There is only one distant vista, and no views of lakes or the Sound, but that's part of its charm. It rewards those who take the time to look closely to see the beauty in the details.

It was chilly today, and threatening rain, so I only walked for an hour. The wind was blowing the clouds east, opening up patches of blue sky and letting the sun shine for brief moments, over and over again. Spring may be on its way, but it's still winter here.

On my way back to the car, the clouds settled in for good and it began to rain, but there was one stubborn patch of sunshine that refused to be chased away. And there I saw it:  the first signs of spring in the park. On a hillside lit by the sun, under a canopy of trees, was a vast carpet of snowdrops, spreading through the woods and absolutely making my day.






No comments:

Post a Comment

I love that you took the time to read my blog, and appreciate your comments.