11.05.2014

On being single-minded...

There are things to do outside. Fence repair and pruning and putting pots away in the shed for the winter. But the weather is awful, wet and windy followed by cold and windy... and all I want to do is stay indoors and tend the fire, and sew. I feel a bit guilty about turning my back.

A bit.

But not a lot.

It might be the weather that's made me want to do handwork. Or maybe it's just that it feels good to sit and enjoy the fire and watch movies, and still create something with my hands.


I got a taste for hand-piecing on my first quilt, and hoped that one day I'd tackle that most classic of handmade quilts:  the lovely Grandmother's Flower Garden. This year, with a couple of road trips planned, it seemed like the right time to get started. With each piece the same size and shape, it's the perfect project for a road trip, when you still want to enjoy the scenery outside the windows.

There is such satisfaction in handwork like this... watching the stack of completed blocks grow, and watching my stitches growing more sure, more accurate and quick. All winter long, when the days grow dark and the storms come, I'll keep my work basket within reach. Bad weather permitting, perhaps I'll finish this quilt before gardening season rolls around again.

Because then I will feel guilty about turning my back on the outdoors.


1 comment:

  1. That looks like it will be a beautiful quilt! Nothing wrong with snuggling by the fire when the weather's bad.

    ReplyDelete

I love that you took the time to read my blog, and appreciate your comments.