4.03.2018

Quilts from scraps...

March was the month for quilt shows. My little group of quilting friends, Material Girls, had a lot of fun traveling around and getting inspiration from the beautiful work of other quilters.

It made me think that maybe I could enter a quilt or two in my guild show this summer. I've been going through my completed tops, picking a few to hand quilt, and maybe I will be brave and enter one in the show.

Not this one... I love the pattern and the colors, and the tiny blocks, and that the whole quilt is about 24-in. square. But there are a small few seams that don't match up, and it's not perfect enough.


But I have others, including these two. They're made from the same pattern, a Friendship Star. The first is one of about a dozen small quilts made from reproduction Civil War fabrics, or the fabric colors from that era. I love the muted red, gold, green, rust, and brown colors. This little quilt is about 20 x 26 in. and has two borders, a narrow gold and a dark brown.


When I cut the fabrics for the Civil War version, I also cut one from 1930s reproduction fabrics. But once the blocks were done, I decided to change the layout. I added 1-in. sashing strips and cornerstones, a 3/4-in pink border, and finished it with a 2.25-in. blue border. I just finished this quilt today, and I love how it turned out.



These little quilts are some I made over the past couple of years, when I decided it was time to make something from all the scraps I've accumulated. I had such fun choosing patterns, and putting together quilt kits using scraps. They are all either Civil War fabrics or 1930's reproductions, and all the blocks are classic patterns from the late 1800's. When I'm finished, there will be about 30 different quilts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love that you took the time to read my blog, and appreciate your comments.