8.15.2019

Share Where You Live... farm stand

Visit a Farmers Market/Farm Stand - favorite fruit or vegetable | #16

Carpenito Bros. is by far my favorite farm stand.  I've been going there since I moved to this town in 2015, but it's been there much longer than that.

More than 50 years ago, brothers Mike and Dan Carpinito started growing vegetables on their family farm. Starting with pumpkins and corn, they sold to locals passing by on what is today Central Avenue in Kent. As interest grew, they gradually expanded into other vegetables, then built a roadside farm stand.


As their business grew, so did their dreams. they acquired more land in the famous Kent Valley, some of the most fertile farmland in the state (even the nation). Today, Mike and Dan, together with their sons, grow more than 40 varieties of farm-fresh vegetables on more than 800 acres. They also grow and sell plants of all kinds starting in the spring, topsoil and beauty bark (manufactured on site), and Christmas trees, before closing down for the winter. The towering piles of copper-red bark are a good landmark for finding the farm stand.

One of my favorite sights in the summertime is a John Deere tractor and trailer, hauling produce from the farms at the south end of town, to the farm stand at the north end.



Today I came for end-of-season perennials, and vegetables for the fridge. Like a 9-in. cabbage for a buck, and a huge head of Romaine for 75 cents. From June through September, this is the only place I buy vegetables, berries, and fruit.

My photos show one of my favorite flowers in many varieties: the hydrangea. And one of my favorite vegetables, cabbage.
. . .

This is #16 on the @twistedroadstudio summer photography scavenger hunt




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love that you took the time to read my blog, and appreciate your comments.