12.20.2014

Jump-starting Christmas

The highlight of the week was the gathering of my husband's family, to celebrate the Christmas season. Our assignments were simple: bring food and drink, and a wrapped gift for our first Secret Santa gift exchange.

Smoked salmon and pea salad, chicken pot pie and vegetables, sourdough bread and artichoke dip, cheese and meat and olives. A table full of goodness, plus a table of chocolate and sour-cream lemon goodies... fortunately located in a separate room. Our Cultura Merlot and Darby red stood side-by-side with whites from Ste. Michelle and reds from 14 Hands.

The girls were given the camera and instructions to photograph everyone and everything, so the rest of us could pair up and talk, and try to catch up on our busy lives.



I especially loved my time with my niece, Jessica. She's finished with her master's degree in library science, and started down the path toward a new career. She also has a new hometown and a new job, and it was fun to catch up with her, and get better acquainted with her boyfriend, Kidron.


Our youngest niece, Emily, kicked off the gift exchange, which was hilarious. First we had to sort out the rules, because everyone had their own ideas of how a Secret Santa should work. Then we all drew a number. Emily picked first, and as each of us got a turn, we wondered why we never did this before now.


I think I ended up with the best gift, this nifty little Jackery battery. Just charge it via an AC adapter with a USB connector (or a laptop), and it will add ten hours of life to a smart phone. It's small enough to slip into a pocket or purse, and will give me some peace of mind when I'm out all day with my camera.

They say timing is everything, and it sure was true for me. In three quick turns, it was won by Ken, claimed by Bruce, and retired by me. Since the gift had been claimed twice, no one could take it from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love that you took the time to read my blog, and appreciate your comments.