9.11.2017

12 degrees from freezing...

This morning I lay in bed and watched the sky lighten toward sunrise, then rolled out of bed and climbed into wool socks and jeans and a sweater... the first this autumn. It was 44 degreesthis morning, the coldest it's been so far this season. It feels shockingly close to the 30s, and winter. I know it's because it was clear overnight, and that the day will be warm. Still... it's coming.

We're going to the lake this weekend, and may stay some extra days and get more pruning done before winter. I already have a huge stack of twigs and branches to burn, but that will have to wait until the rains come, and it's safe.


And maybe I'll start on the steps down to the water. I have concrete blocks set aside to replace the timbers that are failing, and it's an easy (although long) process to dig them out, use the mattock to cut each step level, set the blocks, and backfill with the gravelly soil.

I'll enjoy sitting on the slope down to the beach, watching the squirrels collect fir cones for winter, keeping an eye out for the eagles nesting across the lake, in one of the tallest trees.

Watching for signs of winter, which is fast approaching.

1 comment:

I love that you took the time to read my blog, and appreciate your comments.