9.17.2017

Birthdays...

I love to take my birthday as it comes, and every year it's different. We usually take a long road trip in September, so we could be anywhere on my special day. Sometimes we're on the road, discovering some place new. Sometimes we're with family, sometimes we head off to a favorite place. However it comes, I'm content to embrace the day and enjoy it to the fullest.

September has been a wild and crazy month, with wildfires and hot weather and cold mornings, just nine degrees above freezing. I missed the mild days and the soft air of autumn evenings.



Today we started working our way toward home, driving a forest service road that brushed up against Olympic National Park, through dense forests of fir and hemlock and spruce. There are no views in a forest this old and untouched, no hint of being so close to mountain peaks. It was a beautiful day, until we were just a couple of miles from Hood Canal and finally dropped back down to sea level. That's when the rains we've been waiting for finally came, and it rained until the sky turned dark and Highway 101 looked like a ribbon of wet tar.

We stopped at Dosewallips State Park for lunch, parking in an abandoned campsite by the river and watching the salmon swim upstream. There were hundreds of fish in the river, more than I've seen outside of Alaska. It was an amazing sight.

One last night away from home. Armed with a pizza and wine from one of our favorite wineries, we headed for the cabin to build a fire, play cards, and watch a movie. Tomorrow we'll be home, but I'm glad to have this one last day to relax, and to fall asleep listening to the rain on the roof.

1 comment:

I love that you took the time to read my blog, and appreciate your comments.