9.04.2017

Yellow... for August's Scene & Story



I have a love of yummy, buttery yellow.  It isn't my best color to wear, to my deep regret. But I am drawn to it anyway.

The day my boss came into work wearing a beautiful yellow wool blazer is a day that sticks in my mind with vivid clarity. With a white turtleneck and blue jeans and her blond hair, it was perfection. I fell in love instantly with that jacket. Soft and warm, incredible color on a cold winter day... yummy. (I later asked if she'd leave it to me in her will. I completely expect to receive it one day.)

In the late 90's we bought property on a lake, and spent the first summer cleaning up the place and dreaming about building a cabin. One day we were out floating on the lake after a hard day of work, and our neighbors invited us over for a beer. As we walked into their cabin, the door to the deck was open, and the lake was spread out in front of us. But all I could see in that moment was the vintage yellow Formica table in the kitchen, surrounded by mismatched wooden chairs. I felt immediately at home, and knew that one day we'd own this cabin. A year later, Bob and Lois sold us the cabin they'd built in 1968, and she gave me the table as a house-warming gift. I've treasured it ever since.

My passion for yellow hasn't changed, not in all the intervening years. Yellow roses, yellow kitchens, yellow Depression glass, yellow quilts, yellow transferware. Right now, I especially love vintage yellow suitcases, and am searching for graduated sizes that I can stack, to serve as a nightstand in my guest room.

Linking today with Sarah and Lee's Scene & Story.

4 comments:

  1. I'm more of a blue person, but yes, the color yellow always lifts my spirits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet story surrounding soft yellow, and what a sweet gift and cabin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been very fond of yellow, perhaps because most yellows don't look good on me, but once in a while I feel a sort of hunger for it. I have one very bright yellow shirt that always makes me feel bright and happy when I wear it. I loved reading the story of your lake cabin - and what a lovely gift for them to leave you that special yellow table! I can picture that stack of yellow suitcases, too. Good luck in finding them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely story about your connection to the colour yellow! How wonderful that you were able to buy that beautiful property on the lake and that you were even given the yellow topped kitchen table that you had so loved!

    ReplyDelete

I love that you took the time to read my blog, and appreciate your comments.