12.20.2013

In the bleak midwinter

When the days turn cold and dark and icy, I always think of this Christmas song. It is, and always has been, my favorite. The melody is haunting, and the lyrics are perfect for the season. I think the prettiest version of the song is the one on Windham Hill's Winter Solstice III, sung by Pierce Pettis. It's absolutely beautiful.

The lyrics come from a poem by English poet Christina Rossetti, written prior to 1872. It was set to music by Gustav Holst, and became part of the English hymnal in 1906.


In the bleak midwinter, frosty wind made moan,
Earth stood hard as iron, water like a stone.
Snow had fallen, snow on snow, snow on snow.
In the bleak mid-winter, long ago.

...

What then can I give him, poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb.
And if I were a wise man, I would do my part,
Yet what I can I give him, I will give my heart.


1 comment:

  1. I love that song too, especially Shawn colvin's version!

    ReplyDelete

I love that you took the time to read my blog, and appreciate your comments.