12.02.2013

November Reads

David DuChemin | Photographically Speaking: A Deeper Look At Creating Stronger Images. I loved this book for so many reasons. It's way beyond a technical book about exposure or aperture or shutter speed. It's much more about seeing through the lens, and it was a great read.

Bryan Peterson | I always enjoy reading (and re-reading) his books. This month I checked out two from the library: Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera (a new title for me), and Understanding Shutter Speed: Creative Action and Low-Light Photography Beyond 1/125 Second.

Bread

Jeff Hertzberg | Artisan pizza and Flatbread in Five Minutes A Day. I have his artisan bread book, and love it. We're not eating pizza these days, but flatbread? Absolutely!

Peter Reinhart | Artisan Breads Every Day.  Love the stepped approach to making sourdough starter, and keeping it healthy. Plus recipes for my favorite breads, including swirled rye. 

Writing

Natalie Goldberg | Writing Down the Bones. I read this book ages ago, when I'd been journaling for several years. When I set off to college for the second time and had finished my journalism and technical writing curriculum and had time for a few fun classes, I took a creative writing course. This book was one that my professor recommended. Twenty plus years later, it was fun to read it once again.

The novels

Lee Child | Never Go Back (Jack Reacher). The latest in the series, and one of my favorites. I just learned that every title has been optioned for a motion picture.

Sewing inspiration

Cynthia Treen | Last-Minute Fabric Gifts. I love reading through the newest books about sewing for the home and sewing accessories of all kinds; great inspiration for Christmas gifts.

Sarah Phillips | Quilt Block Leftovers. There are some really fun ideas in this book. It's easy to make up a few blocks just for small projects, if you don't have leftovers from quilting. Potholders, decorating an apron, pillows. And what about this clever idea: take a canvas shopping bag (like the ones Safeway used to sell), and use fabric to cover up the advertising.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love that you took the time to read my blog, and appreciate your comments.