1.08.2017

Scene and story... December 2016


To me, winter was always the season to spend indoors, reading and sewing, sitting by the fire with a cat on my lap. And maybe I'd get some of those chores done... like cleaning out closets.

There were years when spending time outdoors in the winter was required, and I got used to being cold all day when we skied, and cold when I had a horse, and exercising the beast was a requirement no matter how cold or rainy or snowy it got.

But that changed in August of 2015, when we decided to go out to find a geocache every day, until we hit 500 days in a row. Now I find myself going out in all kinds of weather, and I look forward to it for much more than just that one geocache.

A day in December brought that home in a big way. DW and I started the day with a walk on a section of the Snoqualmie Valley trail near Preston. The morning was foggy and beautiful, and the trail beckoned me to come explore. We found our geocache, and as I turned to follow DW back to the Pilot, the early morning light took my breath away. I dropped everything to grab my camera and record this scene.

The rest of the day we explored the back roads, and were treated to stunning views of the Cascades dressed in the season's first real blanket of snow.

. . . . .

My friend, Sarah, has a new linkup on her blog, Paisley Rain Boots. Each month, we'll post a photograph from the previous month, and write a bit about it. This is mine.

20 comments:

  1. Going out for walks in this winter season is wonderfully invigorating! Then to come home to a snug and warm interior is just perfect. It seems, from what you have written, that you have found wonderful new places to discover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always a true fan of a lone figure on a path, feels so much like my life. Such a peaceful surrounding here and of course the fog. Fog love! So thrilled that you are joining us on this new monthly adventure :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so looking forward to playing along with your linkup each month!

      Delete
  3. You've been geocaching for a long time. I only discovered it this fall with my son while camping. I love that you've been blogging for almost 10 years as well. I'll be visiting again to dip into your world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such an evocative image I love photographs with lanes and figures in the distance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love the sense of mystery that fog brings, and how a curving path makes me want to walk a bit further, just to see what is around the bend.

      Delete
  5. Your scene and story are so inviting! Makes me want to walk that path and see those trees, feel the air, hear the sounds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exploration is always an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My son & daughter-in-law just moved back to Michigan after 3 1/2 years in the PNW.
    I loved the trip we took to visit them & we went out to Snoqualmie Falls and we spent a day hiking up Rattlesnake Ledge. Breathtaking beauty all around.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like being outside in the winter. Just an excuse to bundle up, and have a hot beverage when I'm done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my - I don't know what a geocache is - time to google. I love being outdoors in just about any weather but rain - maybe someday I'll get over that. Your image of the path in the mist is truly lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the PNW, rain is a given so I long ago got over that. I don't even carry an umbrella anymore, I just make sure to always have my hooded raincoat with me. As my sister says, "It's only water."

      Delete
  10. Isn't it wonderful when we embrace the challenge of not always being comfortable. It sounds like you have so many adventures outside and find the beautiful wherever you go....I too love photographs of paths; ones with people and without. I always wonder what's on their mind....So nice to meet you....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've heard of geocaching but have never done it. It must have led you on some interesting adventures. Your photo makes me want to walk up this path myself, seeing what's just around that bend, and maybe get lost in the fog. Thanks for sharing in our Scene & Story linkup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much... I've been looking forward to your link-up ever since Sarah first talked about it.

      Delete
  12. That is a stunning image! You've been going out 500 days in a row???? Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful way to spend time together outside! I love how your image represents the journey of adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I genuinely enjoy hearing the backstory of a photograph, especially one like this, where there is a solitary figure set in nature. Isn't it amazing how one activity can open up a whole world of outdoors? I feel the same about taking a picture every day. I used to stay cocooned inside for the winter and now I go outdoors every day! Love your compelling photograph!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's true... just that one thing, going out for a daily geocache, has kindled in me a love of walking in all seasons of the year, not just in good weather. And instead of dashing out to find something quick, I prefer to find a trail to walk, or a park to explore. And my camera always comes along, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your picture and I too love a figure walking into the future ----the fog makes me think the unknown but you are confident in moving forward.
    I love the snoqualmie area all our kids like in the area issaquah redmond bellevue while we live here in Spokane. We are so blessed.

    ReplyDelete

I love that you took the time to read my blog, and appreciate your comments.