11.15.2013

Apple Slices: the recipe

A couple of weeks ago, I wrote about my husband's favorite dessert. You can read the story here.
I made a pan to take to our family weekend at the lake, and my niece said that while she enjoyed reading the story of the family recipe, she was hoping for more. Like maybe the recipe!

So here is my slightly modified (and, I think improved) version of the family recipe. The recipe calls for a 9x13 cake pan, but my husband prefers a thinner version made in a jelly roll pan. And the original had a simple cinnamon-sugar mixture, but I prefer the more flavorful mixture from my favorite apple pie recipe, which comes from old Williamsburg, Virginia. I think it perfectly complements the apple flavor.

Next time I make a pan of these, I'll post a photograph. I hope you enjoy our favorite autumn dessert.


Pastry
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup shortening
2 egg yolks
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 cup water

Filling
5-6 tart apples, sliced
1 tablespoon lemon juice
¾ –1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon mace

Frosting
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons butter, softened
½ teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons milk

Preparation

You'll need either a 9x13-in. cake pan, or a 10x15 in. cookie sheet with sides.

Sift flour and salt and cut in shortening. In a separate bowl, mix the egg yolks, lemon juice, and water. Add to the flour mixture and mix well. Divide the dough into two pieces, one slightly larger than the other; wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate while you slice the apples.

Slice apples into a 2-quart measuring pitcher or large bowl. If you're making the baking pan version, you'll need about 7 cups of sliced apples. If you're making the cookie sheet version, you'll need about 5 cups. I like this recipe with Honey Crisp apples, but you can also use any tart pie apple, such as Granny Smith or Macintosh.


Remove the dough from the refrigerator. Roll out the larger piece into a rectangle, then use it to line the bottom of the pan. Layer sliced apples over the dough.

In a small bowl, mix the sugar, flour, cinnamon, grated nutmeg, cloves, and mace. Sprinkle over the apple slices.

Roll out the second piece of dough and lay on top of the pan. Seal the edges to the bottom crust, then cut steam vents. Bake at 400°F for 30–40 minutes.

In the meantime, mix the frosting ingredients and set aside. Let the pastry cool slightly, then spread with the frosting. Let cool completely before cutting into bars. Store in the refrigerator.

I like to serve these with caramel or dolce de leche ice cream. Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love that you took the time to read my blog, and appreciate your comments.