1.28.2015

A logical cat


When we bought our small farm, there was a rustic, hand-made bird feeder mounted on a post in the garden that bordered the patio, the perfect spot for watching birds.

My youngest cat agreed. Tigger was always my hunter, and loved having five acres to roam. I never caught her off the property, so I never worried she'd get herself into trouble. I'd find her in the orchard, crouched completely still, waiting to catch a mouse. Or hanging out by the chicken coop, watching the baby chicks. She even managed to catch a Stellar jay, quite a coup for such a small cat.

One day I came home from work, changed clothes, and grabbed my gardening tools. And then I spotted Tigger. My clever cat figured out a way to get 6 feet off the ground, and up into the bird feeder, where she waited patiently for the birds to come to her.

Consider the logic, if cats have such a thing. Did she sit on the patio and watch the birds fly in and out of the feeder, then decide that was the perfect place to lie in wait? She was a very smart cat, and I don't doubt it for a minute.

I came across this bird feeder today. It was brought crashing to the ground in January 1994, when a major windstorm snapped the top of a huge cedar tree. I put the remaining pieces in the barn, thinking I'd rebuild it. And never did. But now, maybe I will, and put it back on a post by the patio.

And remember my sweet cat.

1 comment:

I love that you took the time to read my blog, and appreciate your comments.