1.23.2015

Back roads...


It's one of my favorite back roads, always has been. The road runs hard up against the Cascade foothills, and you can't go further east without going south to Chinook Pass or north to Snoqualmie Pass.

It's secluded and green out in the far edge of the county... and today the clouds were so low, it looked foggy, with the low mountains disappearing in the clouds. The road twists and bends, and it's easy to miss the turns that keep you heading on the main line, and not ending up on some dead end.

The tiny remnants of old coal towns, some just a name on a road sign now, remind me of the rich local history. The long, one-track railroad sidings hold cars until they're ready to head east over the mountains; today tanker cars stretched both ways past the bridge, a line of black snaking out of sight. Another held lumber cars; the worn gold blending perfectly with the winter colors.

It was raining so hard, the clouds were nearly at ground level, and water and clouds made photography difficult. The river is running strong, and no brave kayakers were out on the course.


I know all the side roads like the back of my hand, the hidden lakes, the fishing spots on the Cedar, the mountain bike trails. I've driven this road with joy behind the seat of my little red car, and if I'm upset or pensive, it's always my choice to drive while I sort things out.

When it pours rain like today, and there's country music on the radio, all is right with this little corner of the world... my world.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you for getting out despite the weather! There's always something wonderful to find.

    ReplyDelete

I love that you took the time to read my blog, and appreciate your comments.