7.26.2014

Facing east

The cabin windows face east, across the lake, away from approaching weather that's divided by the Olympic Mountains. I lie in bed and watch the sky turn pink with the sun's rising, and on the 4th of July, watch exploding fireworks over the lake.

The other side of the cabin faces uphill into woods of fir and pine, toward the setting sun and the salt water of Hood Canal. We can't see either mountains or canal from our place; there are too many hills and trees between us. But in summer, when skies are clear, we see snatches of sunset color in the sky between the trees.

The big deck is an extension of the cabin, and my favorite place to sit. Anytime of day, anytime of the year, I sweep the needles off, then pull the Adirondack chairs outside. I curl up with my book, or my laptop, and my Nikon is always in reach. I never know what will pass in front of me, in my aerie over the lake. An osprey fishing for its dinner. Eagles soaring on the air currents. Swallows chasing bugs, with fish rising below them. A lake that turns flat calm and reflects the trees along the shore, or a brilliant sunrise. Fishermen silently casting their lines, hoping to hook a big rainbow.

In summer my feet are bare. In winter I wrap up in a quilt, wanting to be outside even though it's cold. Only the rain will drive me indoors.

I don't have this need to be outside when I'm at home. But at the cabin, it's my favorite place to be.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love that you took the time to read my blog, and appreciate your comments.