7.19.2014

Baby violets, part 3

I've been propagating African violets in water, and I'm totally sold on this approach.

The first batch of African violet leaves sprouted roots so quickly, I decided to try it again. With the extra light of summer, these had roots in about a week, and baby leaves in just ten days.

Of those first plants, the ones that did the best were left in water until the tiny leaves grew larger, then I planted them. With each, I left the "parent" leaf intact. I'm not sure this had any benefit, but it sure didn't hurt. After all, it was this leaf that sprouted roots, so just as much a part of the new plant as the tiny new crown of leaves is.



Since the first experiment worked so well, I'll do the same with these new leaves. It will give me time to find more of these small McCoy pottery planters!

This is so easy, it just may become a new hobby.

You can read about propagating violet leaves in water here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love that you took the time to read my blog, and appreciate your comments.