6.10.2015

Dingle peninsula

Our first full day on the Dingle peninsula, and we spent the morning and afternoon doing the famous Slea Head drive. What a beautiful place this is, full of history and amazing scenic beauty, and equally beautiful light. If... when... I come back, I will be able to make this drive and take photographs during the best light of the day. For today, I didn't have that chance. But it was still amazing.

The view from our room at the B&B

A crystal-cutting demonstration, followed by a whiskey tasting. 
I think we'll be bringing some of this crystal home with us.



Dingle peninsula tour. I had to take a lot of photographs from the coach.

We took time for a group photograph, then spent a couple of hours at the Blasket Islands center, which houses exhibits about the community that once existed on Great Blasket Island, a 
beautiful exhibit of quilts, and lunch. That the Irish language still exists today is in 
large part due to the many writers who lived on the island, and recorded the language.


The ruins of the Reask Monestery.

Wild fuscia bushes grow everywhere.



Gallarus oratory

Kilmackedar church



We finished up the day with a walk into Dingle town for dinner, then a traditional Irish music concert at a church. Of the traditional music we've heard so far, or Trad, this is the first time someone has played the guitar, my favorite. It was also the first time we heard the Irish elbow pipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love that you took the time to read my blog, and appreciate your comments.