6.14.2015

Falconry School: Dingle

Without doubt, this was one of the coolest things I've ever experienced. Maybe in the top ten. Or five.

Seriously.

My love of birds of prey started when I read A Falcon for a Queen when I was about 12. That young girl loved the story of an orphan who fell in love with a Scottish man who flew a Peregrine falcon. And a few years ago, my interest was rekindled by Nate, from C.J. Box's series about Wyoming game warden, Joe Pickett.

Fiction aside, I've always loved watching hawks and eagles soar on the air currents. When we bought our small farm, Red-tail hawks were a common sight in the valley. About ten years later, I was driving home from work, and a Bald eagle flew right in front of me. And although raptors are now a fairly common occurrence, I never get tired of watching them. So when I heard that we were going to be visiting the Ireland School of Falconry, I was thrilled. And the experience was so much better than I imagined.

First, our guide introduced us to Dingle, a Eurasian Eagle Owl, while he gave us background on the school and the birds at the school.







Next, we met Inca, a Peruvian Harris hawk. I'll introduce you to Inca in my next post.

1 comment:

I love that you took the time to read my blog, and appreciate your comments.